Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Favorite Children's Book

It was very hard for me to narrow down all of my favorite children's books to just one. I love Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak, among many others. So I finally narrowed it down to two; “Oh the Places You’ll Go” (Dr. Seuss) and “The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear” (Don Wood). I love that way Dr Seuss starts off the story “Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away!” The encouragement, excitement, and power of this statement makes me excited to keep reading the story as I see the children’s eyes light up. I also love the illustrations, as I do with all of Dr. Seuss’s books!


When I read “The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear” I make the book interactive by asking the children what they think the little mouse is going to do to protect the strawberry and where they think the bear is hiding waiting to eat the red ripe strawberry. The ideas they come up with are incredible. I love to encourage children to use their imagination.

               

2 comments:

  1. “Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away!” I feel that excitement as well. Just that phrase alone. I look at how we as adults can take that and apply it to our careers. We should look at the same way with starting this program.
    I never thought about it before but I think I am going to start incorporating this book into my first week of school.(Especially for students who are new to school.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are favorites of mine as well. I especially love the illustrations for the little mouse. His facial expressions and his maneuvers to keep that strawberry safe. I have used this book and have brought in the little black glasses with attached nose. You can get them in party packs so every kiddo gets one to keep. That along with some strawberry talk-n-taste and a bit of fractions as we share strawberries. It's rich. Great books.

    ReplyDelete