Friday, January 27, 2012

Violence

Violence

Approximately 11 years ago my sister was raped. I can remember the call from Mom when she heard about it. They never found the person that did it and she is still skittish to this day. Her husband was not there for her. He needed hand holding because he was the one that left the slider door unlocked, which is how the rapist got in. After it happened Karen came to Mom’s for several days. The police were involved but were not much help. She went to counseling for a couple of months and stopped. I am not sure if she has really gotten over what happened. Montgomery County Police have never followed up with my sister.

The Occupy Movement has moved across the World! Unfortunately violence comes with them. I just looked up violence in Italy and this is what came up. So sad that this is what we have come down to. It also covers other Countries going through the same thing.


Italy tallies damage from 'Occupy' violence
Italian PM vows crackdown after Rome protest turns violent
CBC News
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 10:06 AM ET
Last Updated: Oct 18, 2011 11:43 AM ET
Read 173 comments173
The Occupy Denver demonstration turned violent on Oct. 29, as police fired rounds of pepper spray and arrested at least 15 people. Here, a man is arrested while clashing with police in downtown Denver. (Craig F. Walker/The Denver Post/AP)

4 comments:

  1. Violence can have a long term influence on the person who suffered from it. As the relatives or the friends of those people, we only can comfort them. What they need is to help themselves. Counseling is a good point, because they normally can get good suggestions and advices form the professionals. If they can apply the recommendation from the professionals, they will stand up and move on again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me she has not completely gotten over the incident. It has been twenty years for me and I can still remember it as it was done yesterday. I am over protected of my boy. I am very caution about where I leave them. However, my boys will not stay anywhere unless I stay with them. My mother and sister are the only two people that really watch my children besides school and the childcare center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is unfortunate that there are so many violent and unstable individuals in our world. It is very frightening to have been violated by a total stranger and know that he is still out there unidentified. At best in life we can hope to protect ourselves and one another. I can remember being a young girl about 7 years old. I was helping my great grandmother get friends’ groceries out of the trunk and out of nowhere a man comes up and tries to grad me. I instantly took a plank which we used to hold the trunk up and started screaming and swinging. It alerted my great grandmother and the assailant ran away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,

    Sorry to hear what happened to your sister. Our world is full of violence today and sometimes we just can't escape from it. The children's world is full of violence too, the video games, TV programs, songs and so on. As early childhood professionals, we need to pay extra attention to this because it may have impacts on children's overall development.

    Karie

    ReplyDelete